Friday, March 21, 2014

BROCK PETERSON'S CURRENT BID ENDS WHILE ROBERTSON AND TOMKO GET ANOTHER LOOK

Sometimes, you cannot win. In writing Thursday's Independent Baseball Insidercolumn, I made the point that first baseman Brock Peterson (Bridgeport, CT, Atlantic League) was continuing to have a good spring in his quest to stick with the Washington Nationals. A .370 batting average (10-for-27), .433 on-base percentage with a homer and six runs batted in would seem to justify the comment.

Then, I found out a few hours later Peterson had been sent to the Nationals' minor league camp that very day. Oh, my! I can only hope that performance will lead to a call-up for Peterson sometime during the season.

PAIR OF VETS GETTING LOOKS

Southpaw Nate Robertson, 36, and right-hander Brett Tomko, 40, are getting new opportunities at picking up on their major league careers, although, for now, it is in the minor league camps of Detroit and Kansas City, respectively.

Robertson, part owner at Wichita, KS and a former hurler for the American Association team, was signed by the Tigers for whom he compiled much of his 57-77 major league record. Tomko, who has a 100-103 major league record, spent much of last season with the Atlantic League's York (PA) Revolution.

Tomko contacted the Royals after Luke Hochevar (Fort Worth, TX, American Association) was pronounced as out for the season and the team released Brad Penny. "So I contacted them and said 'look at me, give me a 15-minute bullpen'", he told NewYorkDispatch.com. "I'll do whatever you want. I busted my (butt) this winter in the Dominican (Republic). Just tell me whatever role you want me in."

Stay tuned.

SUBSCRIBE TO THE INDEPENDENT BASEBALL INSIDER. Only $48 for 2014. Scouts: $28

REQUEST A FREE WEEK OF THE INDEPENDENT BASEBALL INSIDER

Get the independent minor league baseball trivia question of the day by clicking this link: Independent Minor League Baseball Trivia Questions

No comments: